Monday, December 8, 2014

Sow Bug Pattern

For years I've felt that the sow bug was a bug that I underutilized on the Clinch River.  A few years ago, I wanted to create a sow pattern for my home river.  As I began researching other patterns I saw different methods and some attributes I liked and some I didn't.  A couple weeks ago, I saw FlyFishFood put out their "Gut Stack Sow Bug".  To my surprise it greatly resembled the bug I usually tie for the Clinch.  I would say it's improved greatly with UV resin.  I use Clear Cure Goo and really like it a lot.  Here are a couple pictures of the Gut Stack version I tied up recently.  I'm expecting good results and hope to have some to show soon.  On the clinch I've typically used #16 and #14 for sow bugs.
Light Gray Sow Dub version

Dark gray Sow Dub from Fly Fish Food with Orange hothead
 

No comments:

Post a Comment